Gas Appliance Repair: a Focus on Safety
Natural gas is one of the most affordable and reliable energy forms available to consumers today. Although safety and efficiency are selling points, it’s important that consumers of natural gas be made aware of possible hazards to better protect their homes and families.
While gas line leaks are rare, they can be incredibly dangerous. Even a minor leak can build up and cause illness or risk of explosion. Similarly, leaks can also happen outside the home and pose just as large a threat. That’s why Westbrook does all of the work for you, making sure that all lines are properly marked and the proper authorities are notified before digging begins.
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Carbon monoxide is a potentially harmful by-product of using natural gas that can build up if there’s even the smallest leak. When inhaled, this toxic gas can be hazardous to your health, to the point where it could even be lethal. What’s more, carbon monoxide is completely odorless and invisible, making it nearly impossible to detect without special equipment. If you experience unexplained flu-like symptoms, headaches, dizziness or nausea, you may be exposed to carbon monoxide and should seek medical attention immediately.
Westbrook offers a few tips to help reduce the risk of carbon monoxide in your home:
- Install carbon monoxide detectors in multiple rooms of your home.
- Routinely inspect the vents, chimneys, gas water heaters, furnaces, fireplaces and HVAC equipment for proper exhaust ventilation.
- Never use gas appliances such as ovens or stoves to heat your home.
- Never sleep in an unventilated room containing a running gas or kerosene space heater without proper venting.